Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Organic Coffee



I just got off the phone with one of the roasters at Wandering Goat Coffee Company. They are one of the better organic fair trade coffee roasters here in Eugene, and fairly new. I have only been to their cafe a handful of times. I have purchased their coffee by the pound a few times as well. I've yet to be disappointed.
Anyway, I was talking over the possibility of adding WG coffee to my festival menu. We talked about practical brewing techniques that would fit my festival set up. He suggested cold water brewing the coffee, which yields a concentrate after 12 or so hours of steeping time.


Filtron Pro was the recommended tool for such a process. It is a $200 piece of equipment, but is still a relatively low investment when considering the cost of equipment that can produce similarly high quality product.

Without any experience using this kind of equipment, I still wonder if I could make something just as efficient for a fraction of the cost. I'll have to do more research.

Another cost to this process will be a high capacity commercial coffee grinder. I'll have to look into that as well. Fresh ground coffee gives the best flavor.

I'd like to be able to offer a delicious 20 oz. iced organic coffee or mocha at the booth for around $3.50. Hopefully customers will value the integrity of the coffee and decide it is a good value. I'll have to crunch some more numbers and see if I can make it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment